January 25, 2016

Landline by Rainbow Rowell


Had Georgie been sure of everything at twenty-two? She's had a plan. She'd always had a plan. It seemed like the smart thing to do -- have a plan and follow it, until you have solid reasons to change course.

This is the first book that I bought in Abu Dhabi (and in abroad -- in general) and I got this for my birthday. Was not sure what to get though but I think I was curious about the title itself and probably because everyone in my GoodReads have read books from Rainbow Rowell so I gave it a try! Also, Young Adult books are always easy to overcome a book coma, for me at least!

Readability: it was difficult to read at first as the characters are shaping up the story (not to mention, it's the first time in a long time that I have not read any books. So this is normal, I think.). However I think it was also because it made me think all the time -- what is this weird thing going on with the phone, though? It confused me for a while! But I went on with the story. The thing is this book makes you want to know more so you keep flipping the pages and read through as the story is very interesting. What's gonna happen next? It's unpredictable. 

How about the main character, Georgie? I honestly think she is annoying. The way she thinks about the situation and her decisions, makes me cringe! (And I like books that make me cringe! Haha!) Additionally, I can somehow relate to Georgie whenever she overthinks something towards Neal. Overthinking really is a bad thing and I like how I can see that in this novel. Sometimes you need to see bad situations stemming out from a bad thought as this could be a reminder to ourselves as well. 

Overall, this book is a good read. I rate it with 3 our of 5.

"How do you know he was the one?" 

"I didn't know. I don't think either of us knew."

"Neal knew -- he proposed to you."

"It's not like that. you'll see. It's more like you meet someone, and you fall in love, and you hope that that person is the one -- and then at some point, you have to put down your chips. You just have to make a commitment and hope that you're right."

"No one else describes love that way. Maybe you're doing it wrong."

"Obviously I'm doing it wrong. But I still think love feels that way for most people."

"So you think most people bet everything, their whole lives, on hope. Just hoping that what they're feeling is real."

"Real isn't relevant. It's like... you're tossing the ball between you, and you're just hoping to keep it in the air. And it has nothing to do with whether you love each other or not. If you didn't love each other, you wouldn't be playing this stupid game with the ball. You just love each other -- and you just hope you can keep the ball in play."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...