January 24, 2015

Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery

 

Anne of Avonlea is the second book from the Anne of Green Gables series by Lucy Maud Montgomery. This book was published in 1978. I scored my copy at the book sale same with my other Anne of Green Gables books (still looking out for #4!). 

This book is just as wonderful as the first one. Anne Shirley is now sixteen and growing up. I see a lot of changes and character development throughout the book. I got hooked most especially with Davy and Dora. These two add some spice into the story and I am glad that these characters somehow reminded me of Anne Shirley in book one. It is thrilling how these characters move with each other. The balance in every character is what makes me embrace this story and love it even more. 

Anne Shirley's character is on a steady-state here. I can't see any big events happening except at the last chapters of the book. Compared to the first one, which has a lot of excitement as to how and what will happen next, in this book it's more like a  prolonged story and a preparation for the next book. I think. Although I like the lessons and wisdom and frustrations and everything that Anne Shirley's character has stepped up from being a little girl to a teenager. 

I didn't have any problem with the visuals. I think having read and loved and imagined everything in the first book, reading it and visualizing each scene was not hard. Also, it helped me imagine the world in the book by looking through photographs of the Prince Edward Island, which is, of course, a beautiful place.

What I liked about this book is its power to capture me all the way because it totally is relatable(?). I guess that is because I have known the life from childhood to early twenties that I know how it was for Anne Shirley from book 1 to book 2.

Overall, I like the story just the same with the first book. Although I'd take one star from perfect five because there was just a tiny bit in me that I thought it could have been perfect if there were more events happening. However, I'm still looking forward to all the books in this series because I love Anne Shirley!

 

As I have mentioned, I scored this book at the book sale. In the recent months, whenever I visit the store, I get thrilled when I spot an Anne of Green Gables book because it's such a good old book! I remember one time a guy told his friend that finding an old book is like finding a treasure. I totally agree. What's more exciting when I found this book and scanned the pages to check if it is good is the writings in the back. I chuckled when I saw 'wonderful' written five times by Maya Marshall. I bet she's the first owner of this book and she probably is in her 60's or plus years now. I am trying to contact her now and hoping I could send her this photo and let her know I own her old 'wonderful' book now. It must cheer her up to know about it. So, if you know her please tell me how to contact her or tell her about this. That would be a great help!

*Update: I searched her address. Turns out she once lived in Maple Pond Homes. I e-mailed them and asked if she still lives there (because if she still does I can send her a letter.) but they replied saying "she no longer lives there~" I figured maybe she was still a kid back when she had this book and lived there. She must have changed her maiden name and married somewhere else and maybe she is in a different state or country. But anyway, it's okay. At least I've tried my best to find her! It could have been fun to let her see the book she once owned. :)

Lastly, here are some of the quotes I like from the book:

"Oh, I don't know. I've come so far short in so any things. I haven't done what I meant to do when I began to tech last fall... I haven't lived up to my ideals." "None of us ever do. But then, Anne, you know what Lowell says, 'Not failure but low aim is crime.' We must have ideals and try to live up to them, even if we never quite succeed. Life would be a sorry business without them. With them it's grand and great. Hold fast to your ideals, Anne."

"Well, we all make mistakes, dear, so just put it behind you. We should regret our mistakes and learn from them, but never carry them to the future with us."

"I'm really a very happy, contented little person in spite of my broken heart. But, Anne, a broken heart in real life isn't half as dreadful as it is in books. It's a good deal like a bad tooth... though you won't think that a very romantic simile. It takes spells of aching and gives you a sleepless night now and then, but between times it lets you enjoy life and dreams and echoes and peanut candy as if there were nothing the matter with it. Isn't this candy scrumptious? I've eaten far more than is good for me already but I'm going to keep recklessly on."

"I must get out all my ambitions and dust them."

"Changes ain't totally pleasant but they're excellent things. Two years is about long enough for things to stay exactly the same. If they stayed put any longer they might grow mossy."

2 comments:

  1. those words, written so long ago, on the inside of the back cover! how wonderful!

    and the fact that you tried to find this long-ago owner. you are a good/nice human being. full of appreciation and giving.

    I can only imagine what a wonderful thing it would have been, for both of you. to have been able to connect, because of this book.

    Tessa~
    (who am I and where did I come from? I saw a comment by you, on Petra's blog...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Tessa.

      Yes, it could have been great. I remember I couldn't handle my excitement after sending an e-mail to Maple Ponds. Unfortunately, though, they couldn't give me any update about her. Thank you! Thank you for your kind words. :)

      Debie~

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...