August 21, 2014

Fish Escabeche Recipe

I enjoy cooking (who doesn't?!) and sometimes I like taking photos of them. That is if they turned out good or great which rarely happens! Although I admit I am so bad at taking photos of food, not to mention my bad style at food presentation, I still show it off because it's *my* masterpiece hahaha! Like painting a rose but ends up looking like a pink (abstract lol) cotton candy! But I don't mind and so do you. That's me trying to be your perfect chef! Hahaha! 

Anyway, this recipe is called Fish Escabeche. The internet says that the word escabeche is Persian and was brought by the Arabs to Spain. The Spaniards probably influenced the early Filipinos to this dish which is simply a sweet and sour (honey and vinegar) taste with a couple of spices. Escabeche is probably the second easy fish recipe I can do. First being the fried fish, of course! Hahaha!


Fish Escabeche Recipe

Ingredients:
Fish, any kind
Ketchup, depends on the amount of fish
Water, half a cup; depends on the amount of fish
Red bell pepper, sliced thinly or however you want
Ginger, sliced thinly
Garlic, sliced
Onion, sliced
Salt, a pinch or so haha
Vinegar, depends on your preference
White pepper, depends on your preference
Sugar, depends on your preference
Spring onion, just not too much hahaha

Procedure:
1. Fry the fish first. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, saute onion, garlic, ginger, bell pepper. Do not over cook!
3. Pour small amount of water (depends on how many fish you have. Just keep in mind that you are not making a soup! So you know how much to put.), vinegar, sugar, ketchup, salt, white pepper. Simmer for five minutes. Add more spices according to your preference. It doesn't need to be too salty though it should be sweet and sour. Add more pepper if desired!
4. Pour the mixture into the fried fish. Add spring onions above for garnish though it also adds a pop of flavor for the recipe! Serve.

Some recipes use corn starch to thicken the sauce but in this recipe I used tomato ketchup only. That's because we didn't have a cornstarch. I think ketchup is a good alternative for it though! :)

3 comments:

  1. A meal that I would certainly yet since I like fish. It is very nicely presented. Don't worry about your food photography. The more photos you take, the better you will become at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anouk! I'll put that in mind ;)

      Delete
  2. looks delicious. I'm horrible when it comes to cooking fish. got some strange looking ones today for our cats, boiled it, and now all that's left is gross looking pieces :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...