November 30, 2013

Being with familiar and unfamiliar faces and being in familiar and unfamiliar places, all sharing the same intentions.


A spontaneous night which was spent existing for the love of volunteering and music all for the intention to help the victims of typhoon Haiyan, locally known as Yolanda, the strongest typhoon to ever hit land in the history of humanity. Half of the night was spent with friends at Philippine Red Cross packing different sizes of bottled waters by a dozen.


It was almost 9 in the evening when the operations stopped so we spent some minutes at Freedom park while waiting for other friends to come by.


We found ourselves at Sales Bar Tekanplor where we heard three local bands play their masterpieces. Almost everyone sang along while I listened carefully to the beat of every song. I became an instant fan of The Sound of Go.


We sat in a small, comfy sofa farthest from the stage among other strangers. So in between each glances of every band, I see passing silhouettes with red and green dancing spot lights on their bodies.


The Sound of Go in action. Everyone seemed to be so into them which drew me closer to carefully listen and enjoy more of what they played that night. It was impressive. And yes, I wished I knew the lyrics beforehand because there is nothing more empowering than knowing the words in every song that a band plays in front of you.


It was almost midnight when they were finished and it was also the time when we decided to go back home.

Overall, it was a great night surrounded by strangers and old/new friends sharing the same intentions. I know there are other ways to help the victims of the typhoon anywhere within the country. There are a lot of events held by small and big groups for the benefit of the typhoon victims every day and every night until now for sure. Even those who have nothing much to give find their ways just so they could help and that is true. I am so much thankful for other countries that are extending their help by going in the areas and reach out. This is the first time that I ever cried while watching the news and the nth time I get pissed off by some government officials. Despite all these bad things happening in reality, I am thankful for those who have very good and clean intentions to help.

After the tragedy in most parts of Visayas, I often think about them every twilight of the day. There's something in the sunset that fascinates me and makes me remember how are things going on there without any electricity in a cold night. I hope it is getting better every day. I hope that the people who are supposed to be there upfront are working well and always reminding themselves to be of service as what they pledged before they stood that position, whatever it is. For those reading this overseas and have some to spare, you are so much welcome to help through Philippine Red Cross.

4 comments:

  1. I too hope that things are going well and that the situation will improve soon. there is always good with the bad. or maybe you just have to decide to see the good with the bad. and people helping each other is one of these good things. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so amazing that you're able to be right there, helping where it's needed most. And in such difficult situations, music is always a healing force! X Jane http://janeheinrichs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding - I've just made a payment to the Red Cross! I should have done this much earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Anouka! Thank you for being so generous and thoughtful! I'm sure what you gave will help them so much! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...