September 6, 2013

DIY coasters


I made some coasters using flannel fabric, embroidery threads, and *my drawing skills*. The idea is inspired with several hand-made coasters online for two years and finally, finally, I am done with it. I used two colors of flannel fabric: yellow and white; and several embroidery threads. The process in making these coasters are: (1) Draw a circle on a paper (or circles directly on the fabric). Pin the circle on the fabric and cut out the fabric following the outline of your circle. (2) Draw anything you want on the fabric. Show off your drawing skillzz.

 

(3) Start sewing following the outline of your drawing on the fabric. I used two circle fabrics since one sheet of flannel is thin (too soft?) and I wanted it to be kind of thick as well. 

 

(4) Take another circle fabric to cover the flip side. Use glue for a clean surface. You may want to sew around the outline of your coaster to cover the back. Your choice.


So, I came up with these designzz: a flower, a book and an eyeglass, a hot cup of coffee, a slice of Hawaiian pizza, and a swarm of butterflies. I have three more trial coasters designed as citrus and a name.


I worked on them while watching movies or before going to bed over the months. Use it when you have some friends over because it can be a topic starter (!) by a friend who appreciates your stuff. Who knows you'll end up conversing about flowers, books, anything and it can go all the way. :)

8 comments:

  1. So pretty! Perfect as house warming gifts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just thought about it. Great idea! Thank you, Cham!

      Delete
  2. These coasters are so cute - I love the pizza one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so cute! Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! i love embroidered stuff! keep drawing and embroidering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yes! Thank you :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...