July 8, 2013

Braised Pork Recipe


One of my favorite Filipino dishes is Braised Pork or, in Filipino, Humba. It's almost always present during fiesta, birthdays, graduation, or any other celebration. It's a go-to recipe for most Filipino families. There are different ways to cook Humba. I like it when it is kind of sweet, less oily and with boiled eggs on the side. Boiled eggs aren't necessary for the recipe but I like having it because it is my favorite. :p

Here's how I made my version.
1. Boil eggs. Boil for 2 minutes. Let it rest in a covered casserole for 7 minutes. Set aside. This is a technique I learned to have a perfect hard-boiled eggs. So far, it never failed me.

2. Heat oil in casserole. Add pork belly over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Add 4 tbsp. brown sugar. Add 1 cup of water.

3. Add 4 cloves of garlic, minced. Sprinkle some black ground pepper. Bring to boil. Lower heat until meat is fork tender.

4. When meat is fork tender, let it simmer. Add some spring onions. Add the hard-boiled eggs. You may slice the eggs in half. You may also add your favorite herb like basil or rosemary.

It is much better to marinate the pork prior to cooking so the pork would have more taste.

That's all. :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh yum yum yum! I only have a handful of pork recipes so I am stoked to add another one to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have a vietnamese version as well, called Thit Heo Kho, that reminds me of rustic homestyle cooking. it's a comforting type of dish and there's usually a blanched veg or pickled veg to go with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. Thank you for sharing it. Glad there's something like it in Vietnam. I would definitely check it out once I'm there. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...