April 10, 2013

How to take care of your dry eyes?


Last February, I visited the Ophthalmology clinic in Davao Medical Center to have my left eye checked. I've been wearing eye glasses since high school and I have astigmatism but my complaint was this tiny black spot lying on the upper part of my eye. It's not visible except when I raise my lid. It's slowly forming a stye and I want to prevent it from fully forming because I have a project defense to make in the next few weeks. Also because it was itchy. It was totally a hassle!

My sister, who is a nurse, told me it could be because of stress. I admit I am stressed out during those days but I always keep on thinking about other possibilities. Maybe I have diabetes? Glaucoma? Other dangerous disease?  I am a warrior (kind of) in some aspects of life but when I stumble upon health issues, I'm a worrier. I cried every night because I always thought I have an unknown disease!

My eyes were examined and the doctor told me I have dry eyes. And the black spot? It is insignificant. As long as it isn't growing (thank God, it is not!) then it is okay and could be because of stress. So I was given four simple instructions on how to take care of my dry eyes.

How to take care of your dry eyes?

1. Wash your face. Pat it dry. Take a clean hand towel and soak it in a warm water. Put the warm hand towel slowly on your closed eyes for 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Take a baby shampoo and pour a little on a cotton bud. Close your eyes. Slowly and gently rub the cotton bud on your lid. Use the other tip of the cotton bud for the other eye lid. Wash your face.
3. Put a little amount of Erythromycin ointment on your finger tip. Tilt your head backwards. Carefully apply ointment on your lid. Close your eyes for 1 minute. Repeat for the other lid. Your vision will be slightly blurry so you must rest for a while.
4. After 5 to 10 minutes, apply Peg 400 eye drops on both eyes.

Do these steps 3 times a day.

Do not touch the tips of the containers so it won't be contaminated. Do not apply the ointment when you're in a hurry. Do not follow steps 3 and 4 unless your eye doctor told you to do so. 

After 3 days, the stye was gone but the doctor told me to continue doing these steps for about 4 weeks. I admit it was such a hassle to do such a long procedure three times a day but it was worth it. The stye didn't form fully and my eyes are okay. My eye doctor told me that as long as the black spot isn't getting bigger, then it is okay.

Nowadays, I still follow the first two steps when I have time. It is important to take care of our eyes and other parts of the body. If you have dry eyes, you may want to follow the first two steps as well or better yet visit an eye doctor to check your eye condition. Take care!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I used to apply some eye drops on my dry eyes. I'll check out these meds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have dry eyes too and use systane drops religiously twice a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice :) Systane makes my eyes feel fresh ;)

      Delete
  3. this is so great! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...