March 3, 2013

Euro Color 200 Film


One afternoon, I went to an old photography shop that sells analog and digital stuff. I bought a new 35 mm film to try out the fisheye lens of my friend's Holga camera.

I asked one woman, at her early 40's I guess, if they have expired films. I knew I'd get 'none' for an answer (because most of the shops I've been to said that other people have bought it already and it'll take months again to have expired films but I couldn't make any reservations for it) but she said, in a low voice, 'I have'. I didn't know why she lowered her voice at that time but I realized that she isn't the owner of the shop so it must be prohibited to sell their personal stuff to the buyers.

So, I asked how much. She walked farther where no other people could hear us talk and acted as if she tried to find something and said she'll give it to me. I got excited when I heard it and just to make sure, I asked again if I could buy it. She then explained to me that her daughter has one unused film six years ago for a college project. Now that digital cameras are more handy than analog, they couldn't use the film anymore. She thought of throwing it but was not able to. I then learned that maybe the reason why she wasn't able to throw it is because it is bound to be used by someone else (me). Hahaha!

I went back the next day and she gave me something that is wrapped in a paper. And then, I said thank you a lot of times. She smiled.

I am thankful for those people who like giving free stuff with no intention of getting something in return. I am thankful for that woman in Photohouse who willingly gave me an unused film for free. Now, I am ready to go out and shoot beautiful things that catch my eyes. Soon, when I am finished with this film, I will show her my shots and will probably give her copies as a sign of gratitude.:)

18 comments:

  1. I love stories like this one - people being kind for absolutely no reason, other than kindness itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hila. I *blush* when I know you read what I've written. Anyway, she is just so generous to give me something that I want to have for a long time! :D

      Delete
  2. Great to read this! Yes, most people in this world are kind and willing to help others. And I love the fact that you use analog. I used to shoot a lot with film when I was younger but now I'm a slave to new technology... Although I find film pics much better than digital.

    LUXESSED

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find film photos to be much better than the ones taken by digital cameras. There's something special in it, right? Your photos might be nice since you travel a lot! I hope we could see it in your blog ;)

      Delete
  3. It seems like an exiting project, looking forward to the actual pictures! /maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting, indeed. It worries me too when I think about wasting the free film I got. I hope I won't get all black although exposed photos are okay.

      Delete
  4. you should take a picture of her. And her smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I probably should! One of these days, I will try to stop by and ask her to smile for me. I have to build confidence as I am shy asking people for a photo though. But I will try to do it ;D

      Delete
  5. These kinds of stories put a smile on my face! And I love film!! So glad to see people still using them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I get excited when I see people use analog films. It somehow makes a connection of us although it's kind of creepy. But you get the picture. Haha!

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how life works--her daughter unable to use the film, unknowingly in the future that someone would have a great use of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly amazing! I did not expect that to happen. I always knew there are no expired films for me in this City although I always ask for its availability. Then I met her. It was magic. It was amazing.

      Delete
  7. That is such a lovely story, Debie! It will definitely be so lovely for her to be able to see the shots that you take.... Make sure you share them with us too. :)
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ronnie. I will definitely share the photos here. I just hope I could take good pictures and not plain black! Anyway, I'd probably print the ones that look good and give them to her ;)

      Delete
  8. That's such a lovely gesture. And lucky for you to have asked her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look back to that day, I find it weird because she was attending another customer before me and there I was waiting in the next line although there are other sales lady going around the store. :D

      Delete
  9. stumbled upon your blog. :) nice to hear that there are still people like ate. shes generous enough to hand you those films. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very generous! I am not finished with the film yet but once I get them developed, I'll give her something out of it :) Thank you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...