I am a newbie at cooking so I tend to follow everything that's written in the recipe. Sometimes I wish I could make my own recipe and experiment. Soon. I just have to practice more. This time I wanted to cook anything with broccoli, and I found this recipe in the internet.
I want to share an awful experience and just be honest with you about me, being stupid and absent-minded, and the broccoli I bought. But you can disregard this one and continue on with the recipe.
[ So, I bought a stalk of broccoli (and other ingredients) from the grocery store during my school project making break. After that, I went back to school and just put everything in my bag pack. I totally forgot about it when I got home and didn't open my bag for two days until I smelled something inside my room. I checked everything -- the corners, desks, cabinets, and bags -- there I found the stuff I bought for this recipe and found out that the broccoli was the culprit. I felt so sorry for it hahaha and just decided to throw it away. Reading some articles in the internet and an advice from mon coeur, I learned that it's fine to still cook it but you have to cut off the yellow parts which was taking up 50 percent of the broccoli I bought. So instead of buying a new one, I decided to cook it before it starts to mold completely. Hehehe. So, I cooked at 3 AM and it was sooooo good except that you can't see much of broccoli as wanted. But it's okay! :) ]
250 grams spaghetti
1/8 cup olive oil
1 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp salt
chicken meat, shredded
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1. Cook the spaghetti according to the directions written on the package. Drain, reserving half a cup of the cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, cut the broccoli into small florets.
3. Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
4. Add the broccoli florets, garlic, and one-fourth tsp salt. Cook until garlic is lightly brown and broccoli is fork-tender.
5. Add the pasta, reserved pasta water, chicken, remaining salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Cook until heated though.
6. Add the crushed red pepper flakes. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil before serving.
You can add any herbs that you want.
Also, I added boiled quail eggs.