November 14, 2012

The Great Gatsby


[ It's different when you write about the novel right after (or maybe days after) you've finished reading it than writing about it after a month(s). So I end up recalling everything which takes time. Good thing I have my Field Notes notebook to jot down the things or points of the story. Who doesn't like writing ideas on a pretty notebook? Heh]

Sometimes having material pleasures doesn't mean you're going to be fully happy. Sometimes it makes you sad. Especially when your dreams are too difficult to achieve. It may seem to be very easy for you to achieve them but the truth is, wealth can not give you everything you want in life.

Everyone in this book seems to be unsatisfied and Jay Gatsby is no exception. Even if your dream is right there in front of you, it seems very difficult for you to get. Because no matter how rich you are, these material things can't buy all the happiness in the world.


This book is a good read. It tackles not just romance but issues such as moral values, economic status, poverty, and materialism among others. It is a story of hope, frustration and tragedy. Remember: money doesn't always equate to happiness.

18 comments:

  1. I haven't finished this book yet. I know, I know. It's a classic and I know it'll be good, I just got distracted. I need to pick it back up and finish it though! Thanks for sharing!

    P.S. I just mailed your package today so it should be on it's journey to you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This entry seems like a spoiler but at least not detailed! Hahaha!! Thank you, Arielle! So excited to hold those vintage stuff from you :D

      Delete
  2. That book is on my reading list. I read Tender is the night recently and it sort of has the same theme - being rich but not completely happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read that book but I can't find it anywhere!!

      Delete
  3. Do you know - I have yet to read this book. But it's so true. Money doesn't bring happiness,
    And the opposite is true too: you can be happy without being rich...
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a go, Ronnie! :)

      Delete
  4. i had to read that book in high school! i used to hate reading but i loved that book! such a great read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I don't usually read a lot but I enjoyed reading this book :)

      Delete
  5. So true, Debie. I need to read this! I'm always missing out on the classics. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read more classics!! :)

      Delete
  6. I remember reading this back in high school and loving it. I'm pretty excited to see the movie that's coming out for it. :)

    JennifHsieh

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this a long time ago. Looking forward to the latest movie adaptation that shall be out soon.

    LUXESSED

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read The Great Gatsby in a really long time so I don't remember how I felt and what kinds of thoughts I had after reading it, but I do love your message.
    Thank you for saying hi at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time trying to remember the feelings I felt RIGHT AFTER reading it! It's really difficult (for me, at least) to write about something that happened weeks ago. Hahaha xD

      Delete
  9. The Great Gatsby is high on my list of favorite books. I have two copies (one which I forgot to return to my high school library 15 years ago) and have read it a few times. Do you think you'll see the new movie? I'm on the fence, as movies of books are usually awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you! Usually movies adapted from books are *awful* but I'm going to watch it anyway. I hope it results to, if not awesome, a good movie! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...